Gaza warehouse broken into by 'hordes of hungry people', says WFP

Gaza warehouse broken into by 'hordes of hungry people', says WFP

3 hours ago Share Save Barbara Plett Usher and Emma Rossiter BBC News Share Save

Watch: AFP footage appears to show a people removing sacks from UN warehouse in Gaza

The UN's World Food Programme (WFP) says that "hordes of hungry people" have broken into a food supply warehouse in central Gaza. Two people are reported to have died and several others injured in the incident, the programme said, adding that it was still confirming details. Video footage from AFP news agency showed crowds breaking into the Al-Ghafari warehouse in Deir Al-Balah and taking bags of flour and cartons of food as gunshots rang out. It was not immediately clear where the gunshots came from. In a statement, the WFP said humanitarian needs in Gaza had "spiralled out of control" after an almost three-month Israeli blockade that was eased last week.

The WFP said that food supplies had been pre-positioned at the warehouse for distribution. The programme added: "Gaza needs an immediate scale-up of food assistance. This is the only way to reassure people that they will not starve." The WFP said it had "consistently warned of alarming and deteriorating conditions on the ground, and the risks imposed by limiting humanitarian aid to hungry people in desperate need of assistance". Israeli authorities said on Wednesday that 121 trucks belonging to the UN and the international community carrying humanitarian aid including flour and food were transferred into Gaza. Israel began to allow a limited amount of aid into Gaza last week. However, UN Middle East envoy Sigrid Kaag told the UN Security Council this was "comparable to a lifeboat after the ship has sunk" when everyone in Gaza was facing the risk of famine.

EYAD BABA/AFP